Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan


Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Life Story



I was born two days ago, with a headache, at Highland Hospital.   The doctor came in and asked me whom I was.  I told him I didn’t know, I was just born.  My first day was exciting; people kept coming and going all day.  Everyone asked me questions.  But I didn’t know anything after all; I was only a day old.  The one question everyone wanted to know was who am I.  I told them I didn’t know.  One person said I had amnesia.  I said no, just corn flakes and orange juice. 

So my life went on into the early afternoon.  There was a nice man in the next bed that coughed a lot.  We got along great and after a while I could cough just like him.  I’ll never forget that time we went for a walk; it was one of the highlights of my life.  The nurse said I was a good walker even with the needle in the back of my hand and all those tubes.  I had to push a stand with an upside down bottle along.  That’s the way people are born, with needles in their hand.  We walked all the way down the hall and looked out the big window at the traffic.  I’ll never forget those days as long as I live.  People kept asking me where I was from, I told them I was born in room 436.

Back in those days we watched television at night.  There was a big room with two big couches and a bunch of chairs.  A lot of people had their own wheel chairs.  We watched Jeopardy and everyone in the room had a different answer for each question, those were crazy days.   The hospital served refreshments; cider, coffee, tea, and cookies.  I asked if they had any amnesia because someone had suggested it that morning.  When it was time for bed everyone went to sleep except me.  The nurse said I had to stay awake a while because of a head injury.  So I waited for the head injury but it never came.  Oh to be young again.

The next morning I woke up and the needle was gone.  I guess it’s all part of growing up.  More people came to visit me.  Everyone wanted to know who I was.  I thought they would know who I was, and they thought I would know.  I wonder if all births are so confusing.  That same man said he thought I might have amnesia again, but they brought pancakes and grapefruit.  They must have quite a menu there.

My friend next to me stopped coughing.  He just lay there with his mouth wide open and didn’t move.  Bunches of people rushed in and were running all around him yelling.   He must have done something wrong.  They covered his head and wheeled him out of the room.  I made sure I did as I was told after that. 

A lady came to visit me and said she had found a home for me to live in.  That made sense, I was getting older and I couldn’t stay in the same room where I was born forever.  I was almost two days old and it was time to leave the nest.  The lady asked me what name she should use.  I said why don’t you use the one on your nametag?  She suggested I had amnesia also, but they brought apple juice.

Well, that was yesterday and now I live in this nice house with seven other men.  We sit in the living room and watch Jeopardy.  It’s easier now with only eight answers for every question.  People keep suggesting I have amnesia but I say no thanks just coffee.  I don’t think I’ll ever forget where I was born and those early childhood days at Highland Hospital.  Oh to be young again.

No comments:

Post a Comment